Whether you’re planning an upcoming party and want to make sure that the night is unforgettable, or you’re simply interested in learning how to make your favorite cocktail from the comfort of your very own home – Sex on the Beach is fun, playful, and the perfect way to unwind after a stressful day.
This classic cocktail is deliciously sweet and refreshing with just the right amount of zest. Not only that, but it’s perfect for summer parties and cozy evenings, and tastes like a tropical holiday in a glass! The only question is, how do you make it, exactly?
No matter whether you’re a cocktail connoisseur in the making or you simply want to try your hand at cocktail making – this article will show you how to make the perfect Sex on the Beach cocktail below. Read on for the recipe!
How Was The Sex On The Beach Cocktail Created?
Sweet, refreshing, and fruity – we’re sure that you’ll agree with us when we say that Sex on the Beach is one of the most deliciously more-ish cocktails in the world – and is the perfect companion for those summery days spent relaxing in the sun, as well as cold nights relaxing in front of the TV, alike.
But, have you ever wondered how Sex on the Beach got that name? Well, according to legend, this iconic cocktail was created in 1986 by a bartender working at a bar named Confetti in Florida.
The bartender, named Ted, was given a promotion incentive to get customers to purchase peach schnapps, and in order to do it – he created the classic Sex on the Beach cocktail that we’ve all come to know today.
Thinking on the spot, Ted got inspired to name the cocktail he concocted as Sex on the Beach – as it just so happened to be spring break, and Ted thought the name was fun, playful, and would be able to bring in the customers.
Needless to say, there’s also some debate about whether or not this tale is actually true, as there’s another story (with credibility) that describes the same recipe inside a book written in 1982.
Although, there’s little information as to whether or not this recipe was specifically recognized as a Sex on the Beach cocktail, or whether it was just a mix-up of two popular cocktails at the time, which are the Cape Cod and the Fuzzy Navel drink.
- First things first, begin by setting all of your ingredients out on your kitchen counter, so that you will be able to easily access all of them as and when you need them.
- Alongside setting out your alcoholic beverages and ingredients that you’ll be using to make Sex on the Beach, you will also need to grab all of the glasses you’ll need and set them aside.
- To begin making the cocktail, start by taking your chosen vodka and pouring a quarter amount into all of the cocktail glasses that you’re going to be using.
- After you have poured in the vodka, you should then proceed to pour in your peach schnapps, orange juice, and top with your cranberry juice.
- After you have done all of that, take a stirrer and thoroughly proceed to mix all of your ingredients together so that they are all properly blended.
- After you have finished making the cocktail mix, we then recommend that you take a moment to taste test to ensure that you’re happy with the flavor.
- If you’re happy with your Sex on the Beach cocktail(s), you can then proceed to complete your homemade cocktail with sliced orange and cherries on a stick, and you could even add a playful finishing touch with an umbrella decoration! It’s entirely up to you.
- Serve and enjoy! As a side note, if you happen to have any drink leftover and you don’t want to waste any of it, then you could also opt to pour any remaining sex on the beach into shot glasses (ideal if you’re hosting a party) or even by pouring into ice cube trays for use at a later date.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 1 Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 336Total Fat: 1gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 7mgCarbohydrates: 45gFiber: 4gSugar: 36gProtein: 2g
Sex On The Beach Variants
Alongside the classic recipe (which we talked you through above) you might also be interested in learning about some of the popular spins on this classic cocktail that you can also make from home.
The most popular variant of the traditional Sex on the Beach is the ever-popular Woo Woo cocktail, which is more or less the exact same as a Sex on the Beach. The only difference? While Sex on the Beach consists of orange juice, vodka, cranberry juice, peach schnapps, and grenadine, the Woo Woo contains all of that apart from orange juice.
Besides the Woo Woo, there’s plenty of other interesting and delicious spins on the Sex on the Beach, including Sex in the Driveway and Sex on Fire – which are two cocktails that have each been inspired by the classic favorite: Sex on the Beach!
Unlike the traditional recipe, Sex on the Driveway ditches the fruit juices for lemonade and blue curacao (which turns the cocktail into a vibrant and eyecatching sea blue) while Sex on Fire swaps out the vodka and instead includes warming, fiery cinnamon whiskey – hence the name!