If you’ve ever loved the Christmas period with all the festive trimmings, then you’ll probably have browsed the eggnog recipes and been slightly overwhelmed by the amount of choice that you have. However, that’s because a lot of eggnogs really are that versatile.
As well as the egg milk and the dairy, you can add any number of spices to your eggnog.
Whether it is cinnamon, nutmeg or some other outlandish spices, you can alter the mix to suit your palate.
If you like it spicy, then why not pep it up with some cinnamon evened out with some smooth vanilla bourbon.
Bourbon is one of the smoothest varieties of whiskey that you can get and will mix in perfectly with your eggnog(see also: Best Rum For Eggnog).
This whiskey can be described as having an almost vanilla texture, which will perfectly complement the dairy elements, giving it that extra kick.
So where can you find the best bourbons for your eggnog? How will a bourbon whiskey be preferable to a rum or other spirit?
How can you add it into your drink in such a way that it will compliment your specific tastes? How much will you have to pay for a decent over-the-counter whiskey?
Well, if you want the answer to these questions and a whole lot more, then we would suggest that you keep reading this article.
We’ll be covering all sorts of bourbons, each of which has a unique flavor that will complement your eggnog. You can add any number of spices to this to make it really pop in your mouth.
Best Bourbons For Eggnog
First up, we have a bourbon that comes with a sweet aftertaste and a smooth finish, which is perfect for anyone who does not want a bourbon that will overwhelm the flavor of the eggnog as a whole.
We would certainly recommend that you pick this one up if you are trying to save some money – introducing Basil Hayden Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey.
This is wonderful when combined with brown demerara sugar. You can also enjoy this on the rocks by itself.
Having this versatility is very important if you want to get the most out of your bourbon, as realistically you’ll only be making eggnog for one month out of the year.
This is a smooth whiskey that can work well with sweet and spicy flavors.
- This is a wonderfully smooth and vanilla-tasting whiskey, comparable with other brands such as Bulleit.
- This is hand-crafted, made with a lot of love and care, targeted for anyone who is looking for a decent mixer.
- You can use this one in a number of cocktails such as a mint julep (see also: Mint Julep Cocktail Recipe)or an old-fashioned. Stretching your bourbon is very important if you are wanting to maximize your dollar.
- The price – this is one of the cheapest bourbons that you can get for your money, so if you are looking to save cash, then definitely pick up a bottle of this.
- There might not be that much whiskey in a bottle with this one, so if you are wanting to make lots of eggnog for guests at a party, then you might have to buy more than one bottle.
Next up, we have one of the more famous brands of bourbon trying something new with a little honey twist on their famous bourbon recipe.
This Jim Beam mix is just perfect to put in your eggnog, you won’t even have to add that much sugar to the eggnog – introducing Jim Beam Honey Bourbon Whiskey.
This is one of the smoothest bourbons that you can get on the market, coming in a handy bottle that you can be sure will make pouring out measures very easy.
If you want to have your eggnog to be quite light on the booze, then we would definitely recommend picking out this bottle.
- This is a very recognizable flavor that you won’t have to order online – although we would recommend that you do so as you’ll be able to get great deals for this.
- This has that honey flavor that you can be sure will sweeten up any drink that you happen to have. If you want to keep the calories in your eggnog low, then you can’t go wrong with this.
- This drink is widely available in the store, so you won’t have to worry about having to order online during the Christmas period.
- This is a very smooth bourbon with a nice finish, so you won’t have to worry about it being too harsh on your throat or dominating the other flavors in your eggnog.
- This might not have that much booze in the bottle in the first place, so make sure that you are willing to commit to buying more than one bottle.
Next up, we have a very delicious bourbon that is probably one of the smoothest that we have on this list. This comes with a very nice vanilla texture that has been complemented by the hundreds of people who have partaken in its taste.
We would certainly recommend this drink for milder eggnog – introducing Bulleit Bourbon.
Bulleit has become an increasingly popular drink in recent years, coming in a fancy-looking bottle that really resembles some of the bootlegger bourbons that you might have picked up in the days of the old frontier.
This will also go well in other cocktails such as mint juleps, old fashioneds and, of course, the classic eggnog.
- This drink has that traditional bourbon flavor that is not exactly harsh on the tongue, making it one of the best mixers that we have on this list.
- This comes in one of the nicest packages that we’ve seen, so if you are thinking of gifting this for Christmas, you probably won’t have to bother with wrapping!
- This has decent proof, not being too strong, so you won’t have to worry about it overwhelming the other flavors in your eggnog.
- This comes with a very generous bottle that you can be sure will really last you way beyond Christmas. This is great if you are wanting to save yourself some money
- This might be a little too expensive, so if you are trying to watch your wallet as well as how much liquor you’ll be drinking, then you might want to opt for another brand.
Next up, we have a bourbon that even comes with undertones of ripe banana and sugar, both of which are amazing when it comes to complimenting your eggnog drink.
You can be sure that you’ll have everything that you need for a nice rich and sweet beverage, without having to add any sugars at the end – introducing 291 Colorado Bourbon Whiskey.
This drink comes with a touch of that traditional whiskey bitterness, but has a wonderfully smooth finish that you can be sure will not overwhelm your tastebuds.
This has been likened to eating a slice of rye toast that has been drizzled with honey. You won’t have to add any additional honey, which we’re sure your arteries will thank you for!
- This comes with notes of white pepper, which makes the whole thing very spicy. If you are looking for that kick to the end of your drink, then this might be the bottle for you.
- This bottle is slender and will fit in nicely with any drinks cabinet in your home. You won’t have to worry about it overpowering the more subtle aspects of your drink.
- This comes with a toasted flavor, with many people complimenting it on the smoky aftertaste.
- This comes with a high mash rating, so it will contain that traditional whiskey taste as well as all those other flavors.
- This might be a little too outlandish for people who just want that traditional bourbon texture and smooth finish.
Next up, we have something that is completely traditional, with a standard whiskey flavor that you can imagine will have everything that you need for that ultra-smooth finish.
This can be enjoyed neat, on the rocks or as part of a cocktail.
We would certainly recommend that you enjoy this with some other flavors – introducing Knob Creek Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey.
This comes with a great bottle with a logo on the side that reminds us of the bottles they might have manufactured during the prohibition era.
This comes with a small batch that should be more than enough for you and your friends to share over the holiday period. It comes with a smooth finish and bitter notes.
- This is traditional Kentucky whiskey, which is great for anyone who is a fan of all-American whiskies.
- Knob Creek is widely available on the market, so if you are struggling to find a bottle of this during the Christmas season, the chances are that they’ll have one at your local liquor store.
- This comes with a smooth flavor, although it is more one for those people who are really into their hardcore whiskey flavors.
- This is also a great bourbon for some classic cocktails such as an old-fashioned, mint julep or just enjoyed neat.
- This might be a little too strong for people who like to mix a milder eggnog. Always make sure that you check the ingredients and the alcohol content before you buy a bottle.
Our final bourbon is an American classic, giving you everything that you need for a traditional eggnog flavor.
This is available in plenty of places across America, coming with a smooth finish with a warm aftertaste that will help during those winter months – introducing Buffalo Trace Bourbon.
This whiskey is aged in cask barrels over many years, which is what gives the whole thing that distinctive flavor.
You can expect hints of pine and oak in your eggnog when you have added this bourbon, so make sure that if you want your eggnog to stay sweet that you add some extra sugar.
- If you are looking for that solid and thick flavor to your eggnog, then we would recommend that you add some Buffalo Trace. We found that it went really well with cinnamon.
- This comes with hints of many different types of flavors, including candied fruits and toasted almonds.
- This comes with a very smooth finish, so if you fancy making much lighter eggnog, then you can always add a dash of this bourbon and not really notice the difference.
- This is aged in old warehouses for decades, so you can be sure of a quality flavor at the end of your eggnog drink.
- The price – this comes with a hefty price tag, considering the amount of booze that you’ll get and the ingredients that come with them.
When you are looking for the right bourbon for your eggnog, then you’ll want to consider the type of eggnog that you’ll be making.
If you are making a strong drink, then you’ll want something that contains a lot more alcohol. Here are a few things that you’ll be wanting from your bourbon:
How Much Alcohol Does It Contain?
This will all depend on how much alcohol you’ll want to taste in your eggnog.
Most people really want to have non-alcoholic ingredients, such as nutmeg and cinnamon, to really stand out.
There is no standard measure of bourbon you should put in your eggnog, so try experimenting with different measures.
What Other Flavors Are Contained In Your Bourbon?
As we have seen from the list above, bourbon is often made with plenty of other elements, including vanilla extract, cinnamon and even honey.
These sweeter elements will really add to your eggnog drink and you might not have to add any more ingredients such as sugar and honey.
You’ll need to make sure that the flavors in the eggnog will be complemented by the flavors in your bourbon.
If you have harsher flavors in your drink, then this can often result in a better flavor that is overall very unpleasant to drink.
How Much Does It Cost?
On average, you won’t want to pay more than $40 for a decent bottle of bourbon, although you can get rare bourbons for a higher price tag, although you’ll probably have to source these online.
You’ll also want to think about how many people you’ll be making eggnog for.
If you are preparing this drink for a larger group of people, then we would suggest that you pick up a few bottles, although this will obviously lead to a high price tag.
How Long Will It Last?
If you can get a bourbon that will blend in well with other drinks, then you can expect to get a lot more use out of your bourbon.
One of the downsides of purchasing a mixer specifically for eggnog is that you won’t be making this drink all year round.
So having a bourbon that can blend in with other drinks will be very important for expanding the shelf life.
Try looking up drink recipes and seeing if there are bourbons that are common to a wide range of drinks. If you have a drink that is a common mixer, then you should pick up this bottle to get your money’s worth.
Frequently Asked Questions
When Should You Drink Eggnog?
We would certainly recommend this drink at Christmas time, especially at a party when you are trying to entertain a few guests.
Eggnog is one of those drinks that you can be sure will be very popular, as it is rich, creamy and contains a decent slug of booze.
If you are making this drink in bulk, then you’ll need to make sure that you have plenty of bottles on standby.
Luckily, eggnog is very easy to make, requiring only a few ingredients. It is also a very easy drink to make in bulk.
How Best To Serve Eggnog?
This drink is generally best served chilled, although some heat is required when you are making it. We would recommend that you prepare some eggnog in a large jug before putting it in the fridge.
This will help you cut down on drink-making time and will allow you to focus on the fun task of entertaining.
You can drink eggnog straight or with some ice, the choice is all yours!