If you’ve ever wanted to enjoy the Christmas period in a particularly festive way, then you certainly might have taken a look at some eggnog.
This drink is largely made from egg and milk, forming a punch that is very tasty to drink – even if it isn’t so easy on the calories!
However, one of the great things about this drink is the sheer versatility of the things that you can put in it.
That’s right, you don’t have to have simply regular bourbon, you can mix this up to create a wide palette of flavors that will be both sumptuous and rich.
You can also add your own sugars and flavorings to your eggnog(see also: Best Bourbon For Eggnog).
Spice it up with a little bit of cinnamon for that distinctly Christmas flavor, you can also add traditional spices if you like that little kick at the end of every sip.
But rum is one of the best alcoholic beverages that you can put in your drinks.
Not only does it add that wonderful smokey flavor, but it will also give your eggnog that extra kick that it needs.
Rum is a very traditional Christmas flavor, so you won’t want to leave it out of your Christmas meal.
But where can you find the best rums for your needs? What are the features of a really good rum? How can you get a rum that will mix really well with the other flavors of your eggnog? How much will you have to pay for a really decent rum?
Well, if you are simply gagging to know the answers to a lot of these rum-infused questions, then we would suggest that you read this article.
We’ve compiled and tested a list of some of the best rums that you can get on the market for your needs. We have rated these rums in terms of flavor, texture and how smooth they go down.
Best Rum For Eggnog
This first rum is straight from the heart of Cuba and comes with some of the most delicious flavors that you can imagine.
Not only is this rum smooth and tasty, but it has a great kick at the end.
This is made from quality molasses, so you can be sure of getting that smooth texture that will blend in nicely with your dairy – introducing Havana Club Rum.
This is aged for around 14 years, meaning that this is a company that does not stop until you have that conventional rum flavor.
This is one of the best rums that you can get for your money, coming at a fairly decent price and being widely available in most stores where you can buy liquor.
- Widely available – you won’t necessarily have to shop online for this rum, although you will probably get a better deal when you order online.
- The rich and spicy flavors of this rum will sit nicely in with the eggnog, not overpowering the flavors of the dairy inside.
- This rum is also very smooth, so if you don’t like the taste of alcohol in your eggnog, then we would suggest that you pick up a bottle of this.
- This is a very reasonably priced alcohol, you can pick up a few bottles at a time, which is great if you are planning on making large batches of eggnog.
- This might be a little too weak for anyone who wants that particularly harsh taste when they are drinking their rum.
This comes with a wax seal that you can be sure will give you everything that you need for a decent cask flavor.
If you are looking for a decent flavor for your eggnog, then you can’t go far wrong with one of these rums.
This comes with a rich flavor that really cuts through the eggnog, really tasty for anyone who relishes the taste of booze.
- This rum is a great off-the-shelf rum, made for those who really appreciate the taste of rum but without the extortionate price tag.
- This comes with a seal that will add that extra level of sophistication to your eggnog soiree.
- This comes in a nice bottle which will allow you to mix it in with the eggnog nicely. When we poured this eggnog it was nice and smooth, not overpowering some of the more subtle flavors.
- If you want to pair this one with coffee, then it will really compliment the strong coffee odors. Make sure that you do not put too much in your eggnog though!
- This might be a little too pricey for anyone who wants to make themselves the occasional eggnog drink at Christmas.
Next, we have a rum that hails from Jamaica, with a rum that is really rich in fruity flavoring. This has been aged for at least a decade, so you can be sure of that powerful and strong aftertaste if you are adding it to your eggnog.
We would certainly suggest that you have this as a change to your regular eggnog rum – introducing the Appleton Estate 8 Year Old Reserve.
This is often considered to be a sipping rum by anyone who drinks it, so we would recommend only adding a dash of this rum in your eggnog, as this will be all that you need.
If you want a little fruity twang to your eggnog, then this will be the rum that you’ll be wanting. You can also add a dash of this to your Christmas punch.
- This is a very fruity rum that is quite diverse, giving you that little citrusy kick after you have sipped your eggnog.
- This is a versatile rum, able to go into most drinks, whether it is eggnog, punch, or a fruit cocktail. This will be an indispensable drink in your cabinet.
- This rum is very cheap and attractive looking, if you place it on your drinks table at Christmas, you can be certain that you’ll be answering a lot of questions from your guests.
- Coming with a smooth and subtle texture, you won’t have to worry about it overpowering your palette.
- This might be a little too unorthodox for anyone who is looking to simply create their favorite traditional eggnog drink.
This next rum utilizes wine-making techniques to create a wonderful flavor and texture that you really can’t find in any other rum on the market.
This rum is distilled from sugarcane honey, so you can be sure you’ll get that sweet kick, even when you are drinking it straight – introducing Ron Potran 12 Year Rum.
This rum is aged separately and then combined in the barrel to produce a unique flavor.
This is very smooth and it will not overpower some of the more subtle ingredients of your eggnog. This rum will certainly push you to the extremes of what you are expecting from your traditional eggnog drink.
- A rich flavor will certainly give your eggnog that extra punch while still firmly remaining in the traditional rum flavor category.
- Rum is often considered to be the sweetest of the spirits and this drink is no different – if you want to leave out the sugar in your eggnog, then this drink will supply the sweetness.
- This is brewed in sherry barrels, which will account for its uniquely sweet taste. You can be sure that there is no other rum that tastes like this.
- This is distilled from sugar cane, so you can be sure that the sweetness that you will taste will be tinged with earthy tones.
- This might be a little too expensive for anyone who just wants to casually enjoy eggnog to themselves at Christmas.
This next whiskey has been aged in bourbon barrels, which is what makes it one of the sweetest and unique tasting rums that we have found on this list.
When we were testing this whiskey, we found that it was very smooth on the palette, having a moderate amount of kick on the aftertaste – introducing Doorly’s XO Rum.
This comes matured in bourbon barrels, which is why it is so tasty when it is added to your eggnog. This will really cut through any cinnamon or spices that you add to your drink, actually complementing the final flavor palette.
This drink has a very spiky edge that is great for anyone who likes the taste of booze.
- This is considered another sipping rum, meaning that it has a slightly stronger aftertaste than a lot of the other rums that we have on this list.
- Because this is brewed using wine-making techniques, you can expect a whole different flavor palette to a lot of other rums.
- This is slightly unorthodox, but when you add it to your eggnog it will not taste drastically different from other conventional rums.
- This comes with a sharpness that might be difficult to take on its own, but once you blend it in with the milky elements of your drink, then it will really enhance the sweetness.
- This might not be paired well with nutmeg, as it tends to give the drink too much of a sour flavor.
Next up, we have a great rum that is distilled from demerara sugar, which is what gives that almost caramelized aftertaste.
This comes with a dozen expressions – or flavors to the uneducated – which means that you will notice a wide range of tastes even from just one sip – introducing El Dorado 12 Year.
This comes with a strong kick at the end, which is perfect for eggnog where the ingredients might be slightly more creamy and rich than they normally would.
This will cut through any cinnamon and nutmeg, although it will not overpower the overall flavor of the drink.
- This has an almost bourbon taste, which is great if you like the flavor palette and texture of whiskey.
- This comes aged in a luxury cask, which means that the texture will be very smooth, which is great for anyone who really doesn’t like too much alcohol in their Christmas drinks.
- This is distilled from demerara sugar, which means that it will have that caramel flavor that is really amazing on the tongue. This rum also goes well in cakes.
- This comes with a dozen expressions of flavor, which is what makes it one of the most varied rums that you can get on the market.
- This rum might be too sweet, especially if you are adding sugar to the mix already. We would recommend dialing down the added sugar if you are going with this rum.
When you are looking for a decent rum for your eggnog, there are a few features that you’ll definitely want, although it will always depend on what kind of flavors you prefer in your final eggnog drink.
Here are a few things that you should be thinking about:
What Percentage Of Alcohol Does It Have?
This will determine the flavor, as the stronger the proof then the more the kick will cut through the rest of the eggnog ingredients.
You’ll want to maintain a delicate balance in your eggnog, so make sure that you measure the amount of rum that you put in depending on its proof.
What Flavor Palette Does It Have?
You’ll often find that there is a mix of flavors that you can have with your rum, ranging from spicy to vanilla to sweet.
This will all depend on what exactly you’re going to want from your eggnog mixture. If you prefer it sweet, then we would suggest that you get a rum with some sweet notes, etc.
You’ll have to make sure that the mixture of all of your ingredients is exactly right.
If you like plenty of cinnamon in your eggnog, then we would certainly recommend that you add a little vanilla rum to the mix.
How Much Does It cost?
Knowing the price of your rum will be very important for knowing whether or not you are getting the best deal. If you are splurging on lots of bottles of rum for a party, then you’ll certainly be looking for the very best deals.
However, if it is a rum that is just for your eggnog, then you might not mind getting a luxury bottle.
The cost will usually dictate the quality of the rum, too.
If you are spending over $100, then you can probably expect the best quality ingredients using the best distillery methods. If your rum costs a bit, then you can expect some interesting methods of distilling.
Does It Blend Well In Other Drinks?
You’ll probably want to get the most out of your rum, so check the manufacturer’s description to see whether or not it can be used in other drinks.
You’ll only really be drinking eggnog for a specific period of the year, so it would make sense to buy a drink that can be used in other punches and cocktails.
Frequently Asked Questions
How Do You Make Eggnog?
Eggnog is a very simple drink to make and how you make it will all depend on your specific tastes. All you’ll need for really decent eggnog are the following ingredients:
- 50 grams of castor sugar
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 400 grams of condensed milk
- 100 ml of brandy (although you can use rum if you prefer)
Once you have gathered your ingredients, all you have to do is simmer the sugar in a saucepan and then leave it to cool. Once you have done this, beat the egg yolks and add in the sugar, vanilla, rum and condensed milk.
Once you have mixed all of these ingredients well, then place the eggnog in a fridge to chill. Once it has cooled, then it should be ready to serve for you and your guests. Remember that if you are having a large party then you will need to make eggnog for everyone.